Makes 6 servings
This became my favorite dish on the trail. Something about bell peppers really agreed with me after a long day. This is a mildly spicy dish that balances well with the carrots and bell peppers. It is layered, flavorful and realy filling. Make sure to slice the beef especially thin, or it will require extra soaking.
2 lbs beef chuck, fat removed
2 medium onions, diced
2 medium carrots, grated
3 bell peppers, cut into 1-2 inch strips
1 cup beef broth / water
¼ cup red wine
5 cups cooked rice
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp + red chili flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
⅛ tsp thyme
½ tsp ground black pepper
¾ tsp salt (to taste)
1. Liberally cut away the fat from the beef chuck.
2. Cut the meat against the grain into thin strips (as thin as you can), and then into 1-2 inch pieces.
3. Brown the meat on both sides, in a blazing hot cast iron pot, in small batches as to not overcrowd the pan.
4. Rinse meat under hot water until no fat remains, set aside.
5. Add broth/water and seasoning (mustard seeds, chili flakes, garlic powder, thyme, black pepper & salt).
6. Turn the heat to high, as soon as it comes to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer. Cover with lid. Allow to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the onions to a nonstick pan and saute on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes or until golden in color.
8. Add grated carrots to pan and saute for a couple of minutes.
9. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping the bits that are stuck to the pan. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
10. In a separate nonstick pan, add cut bell peppers and slightly brown them over high heat, stirring constantly. Do this for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
11. After 30 minutes of cooking beef, add the bell peppers, sauteed onions & carrots. Taste and adjust the seasoning (salt) and cook for another 10 minutes.
12. Cook rice and mix with beef.
13. Spread a single layer of spicy beef & rice mixture onto your dehydrator sheets and dehydrate on your meat setting
14. Portion, vacuum seal and label bag.
1. Heat water to boiling
2. Cut open vacuum bag and place in cozy
3. Pour water into bag until about a half inch above meal
4. Close cozy and let sit for ten to fifteen minutes
5. Mix well and add additional water as needed
6. Eat and enjoy