Makes: 4 servings, 1.5 cup each
The unique ingredients in this oatmeal shouldn’t dissuade you from trying it. It quickly became one of our favorites because that hint of basil really set it apart from an otherwise boring dish. Dehydrating food can sometimes rob it of flavor, and this combination was wonderful.
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons dry white wine
3 sprigs fresh basil
2 2-1/2-inch strips orange zest
3 cups frozen peaches
1 cup frozen blackberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6 cups quick oats
1 1/4 cup dry nonfat milk
4 tablespoons heavy cream powder
1. Combine sugar and wine in small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Add 3 basil sprigs and orange zest; stir to immerse. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
2. Strain syrup into a small bowl, pressing on basil and zest to release maximum flavor.
3. Cook peaches & blackberries until soft and cut into small pieces. (I used metal spatula to cut while heating)
4. Combine lemon juice and basil-infused syrup in pot with compote.
5. Ladle 1 cup of compote onto dehydrator trays and dehydrate according to your machine’s settings.
6. Put 1.5 cup oatmeal, 5 rounded tablespoons dry milk & 1 tablespoon heavy cream powder into 4 vacuum bags or equivalent.
7. Cut dehydrated compote into small pieces and drop into bag, and thoroughly mix all ingredients.
8. Vacuum seal and label bag.
1. Heat water to boiling
2. Cut open vacuum bag and place in cozy
3. Pour water into bag until slightly covering oatmeal
4. Close cozy and let sit for ten to fifteen minutes
5. Mix oatmeal well and add additional water as needed
6. Eat and enjoy